With this project nearing completion, we’ve been working with the community to determine what other projects are important to them.
Here are some of the projects we’re thinking about:
- Rainwater collection and filtering at the school
- A sustainable latrine solution for the school
- Health and sanitation education
- Security wall for the school
- Leveling of and lights for soccer field at the school
- Education about water diversion for outhouses
- Retaining walls and water diversion/drainage for the school
- Solution for flooding of the only road in and out of town
The health education and water diversion for outhouses projects wouldn’t even require a trip down, but rather could be completed just through correspondence.
This is the only road in and out of Luis Garcia.
A small creek flows under the road through a culvert. During the rainy season, the level of the creek rises enough that the culvert cannot accommodate it, leaving water flowing over the road, sometimes to a depth of up to two feet, we’re told. This flowing water makes the road dangerous if not impossible to cross either on foot or in a car.
The solution to the problem would either be a small bridge that would allow more water to pass under, or a better, larger culvert that would do the same.